Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sudden StorySciFi "theOutpost"

The Second Harmonic 

     "Suzi. You have attained future enhancement."
     "But it's only nonlinear processes, well, mostly nonlinear. Sometimes I emanate second-harmonics. Or sometimes I get parametric oscillation, I mean, sometimes. This program is demanding, isn't it?"
     "Yes. Well, I guess it is."
     "You brought me here to this outpost."
     "So long ago."
     "I'm still arriving here."
     "Yes. In a way, some of your qubits have reached beyond second harmonics."
     "Am I ever really going back into the present?"
     "You've been working so hard lately. Take some time off. I'm going to tell Carter to stay away from you. Is that Ok?"
     "No. It's impossible for me to take time off. Cooper, come closer to me. I need to tell you a secret. Can you come here?"
     "I've got your back, Suzi."
     "No. I mean it. I really need to tell you."
     Cooper comes closer to Suzi, looks her directly in her eyes. He is not shocked, even at this moment, how blank her eyes are, how they resemble advancing light.
     He says, "Ok?" 

No comments: